Monday, April 13, 2009

Proofreading and Editing Tips by Sally Vale


Proofreading and Editing Tips by Sally Vale


With all the advantages of Microsoft Word, it is easy to forget that the spelling and grammar check doesn’t always fix every error you make. So as much of a pain as it might seem, it’s important to physically proof read and edit your own work. Even then, though, it can be easy to miss an error you may have made. Here are some interesting tips to help you find and fix those mistakes!


  • Print out the document. I know, I know, it’s wasteful, but I find that it’s a lot easier to see mistakes I’ve made if I’m holding something tangible in my hands.

  • Proofread specifically: do one check for spelling errors, one check for punctuation, one for grammar, etc.

  • Know your flaws. I, for example, tend to use a passive voice all the time when I’m writing. So I make sure to look specifically for when I do this.

  • Read words backwards. It sounds time consuming, but it really helps with noticing spelling errors.

  • Keep a lookout especially for jargon and slang.

  • Be CONCISE! Ask yourself if everything in the paper needs to be there. You don’t want to lose your reader because you’re too wordy.

To speed up your editing process, I've included a chart of proofreading marks in my post this week.


I found some of these tips, and a lot of others at


"Proofreading and Editing Tips". LR Communication Systems, Inc.. April 13 2009 .

3 comments:

  1. Sally,,,I can agree with you on all of our tendencies to rely on spell check. There have been many times were the wrong use of a word has ended up in a final project of mine, due to not proofreading before printing. Your chart was really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can see, I did not see that above I accidently posted before I saw I had placed commons in place of periods. This is a perfect example of not proofreading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post and full of your wonderful voice...thx, Sally, for the helpful proofreading tips.

    ReplyDelete